It's Christmas day. Rich is excited to give Heather tickets to the Vikings versus Bears game. Both teams are in the playoff hunt. Chicago is 10-4 and the Vikings are two games back at 8-6. If the Vikings can win & if Chicago loses to Green Bay, this weekend's New Year's game will be for the division title and that will give the Vikings a home playoff game! No matter what Chicago does, if the Vikings win, the Vikings are in the playoff chase. The tickets in her hand are for a 'Dome-rocker and Rich is excited to take Heather to her first Vikings game.
The tickets were given in a Christmas card. Christmas day was arranged so that tonight they can watch the Vikings at 5-9 Baltimore. This will be a very winable game. Rich was very excited and this would be a magical Christmas Day!
Fast forward to Sunday night. The Bears have won and the Ravens just scored their 30th point. Heather says to Rich, "So, can you still get your money back?"
Rich told me the story this week and it got me thinking. Can he get his money back? Beyond Rich, can FOX get their money back? After all, they moved the Vikings/Bears game to 3:15 for a national audience. Now, this Sunday's game has as much intrigue as most Monday Night Football matchups this year (Did anyone watch the New England Patriots bully and pummel the hapless New York Jets (New York Gliders? Either way, the list of Monday Nighters follows).
Better yet, since this game has less meaning, can the Vikings get back some of their money? Will Nate Burleson get his money back, too? I'm just asking for Heather's sake.
In case you're wondering, here are this year's Monday Night matchups:
- Dec. 26, 2006 New England 31, New York Jets 21
- Dec. 19, 2005 Baltimore 48, Green Bay 3
- Dec. 12, 2005 Atlanta 36, New Orleans 17
- Dec. 5, 2005 Seattle 42, Philadelphia 0
- Nov. 28, 2005 Indianapolis 26, Pittsburgh 7
- Nov. 21, 2005 Minnesota 20, Green Bay 17
- Nov. 14, 2005 Dallas 21, Philadelphia 20
- Nov. 7, 2005 Indianapolis 40, New England 21
- Oct. 31, 2005 Pittsburgh 20, Baltimore 19
- Oct. 24, 2005 Atlanta 24, New York Jets 24
- Oct. 17, 2005 Indianapolis 45, St. Louis 28
- Oct. 10, 2005 Pittsburgh 24, San Diego 22
- Oct. 3, 2005 Carolina 32, Green Bay 29
- Sept. 26, 2005 Denver 30, Kansas City 10
- Sept. 19, 2005 New York Giants 27, New Orleans 10 (Saint 'home' game at
- Sept. 19, 2005 Washington 14, Dallas 13
- Sept. 12, 2005 Atlanta 14, Philadelphia 10